What have we been up to?
“I had a brilliant day at uni and had some great advice from ambassadors” – learner
Thank you to our partner schools and universities for being a part of the KS4 HE Skills and Progression 2017. We engaged with 81 learners from Southborough, Ricards Lodge, Rutlish and Coombe Girls. The learners attended four interactive workshops:
- Thinking About Your Thinking – delivered by Sophia Martin from London South Bank. The workshop was designed to support learners in memory recall and presentation skills.
- Campus Scavenger Hunt – delivered by Roehampton University
- Skills for Success – delivered by Katharina Stegmann from St Mary’s. The workshop was designed to support learners with their critical thinking, identifying their skills and interest and employability skills.
- Student Life Step to Progress-learners had the opportunity to speak to student ambassadors about: student life, studying at university and budgeting top tips.
As part of Aimhigher London South commitment in working with parents the students had the opportunity to send their parents/guardians a postcard. Students were asked to write about their day. The aim of the postcard is to ignite conversation about higher education with students that attended the conference and their parents/guardians. The postcard features a link to the Aimhigher Parents Website to help them to find out more about university.
- “Please ask me about a top tip about student finance and student life ”
- “The university is cool and I think I will get on well at university”
Year 12 BTEC Conference
We were delighted to work with our learners at the year 12 ‘Getting the most from your BTEC’ conference on Friday 3rd March at St Mary’s University. This year we were hosted by St Mary’s University we were also be joined by Goldsmiths University and Roehampton University who will ran interactive and informative workshops including:
- Exam and revision techniques – to support students with the new 25% examined component of the course – delivered by Tony Mcleod from Roehampton
- Researching courses, understanding what universities are looking for – giving your year 12 students plenty of time to achieve those merits and distinctions and acquire the necessary skills, qualities and attributes- delivered by Lee from Goldsmiths
- Supporting you at University – Student had the opportunity to speak to different support services at university during their campus tour.
In addition, students had the opportunity to ask student ambassadors in the ‘Ask the student ambassador’ session to find out what it is like studying at university and their experiences coming from a BTEC background.
Thank you to all who participated.